In the event of an emergency
- Do not smoke or light matches
- Do not turn electrical switches on or off
- Open doors and windows
- Turn off the meter at the control handle unless the meter is in the cellar
- Call the National Gas Emergency number (0800 111 999)
General safety advice
- Get your gas appliances checked annually by a Gas Safe-registered engineer
- Always check IDs before allowing anyone into your home
Gas safety in rented properties
- Speak to your landlord about making sure the boiler is serviced annually
- Ask for a copy of the safety certificate to be sure
Signs of a faulty boiler
- Soot around the appliance
- A yellow or orange weak flame instead of blue flame
- A pilot light which blows out easily
Issues such as carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal but many people are not aware of the warning signs, particularly older people, who may put flu-like symptoms or simply feeling drowsy down to old age.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Shortness of breath
If your carbon monoxide alarm sounds or you suspect a leak:
- Stop using all appliances, switch them off, and open doors and windows to ventilate the property
- Evacuate the property immediately; stay calm and avoid raising your heart rate
- Call the Gas Emergency number on 0800 111 999 to report the incident, or the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) Gas Safety Advice Line on 0800 300 363
- Don’t go back into the property; wait for advice from the emergency services
- Seek immediate medical help; you may not realise you’ve been affected by the carbon monoxide and going outside into fresh air won’t treat any exposure by itself
Find out more about carbon monoxide poisoning on the NHS Choices website.
Want to learn more?
Get a quote today
Whether it’s a routine service, unexpected repair, cooker to be fitted or a full heating system installed this shouldn’t affect your means of making money or impact your day to day life.